Thursday, February 11, 2010

Gentle Ginger "Steaks" and Carrots

So, my shameless reliance of The Kind Diet and its recipes continues.    I'm not much of a tofu eater, but I decided to give it try for the sake of variety.  I made these "steaks" last night.   They're pretty easy to make and even tastier if you give them some time to marinate.  Since I was grating ginger, I decided to make up a ginger carrot and cabbage dish. 

Lately I've been experimenting with fresh ginger because I enjoy its unusual and refreshing flavor.  Ginger is used abundantly in Indian, Asian and African dishes and is also a medicinal herb.  Herbalists recognize and use ginger for its anti-nausea and beneficial digestive properties.  When my stomach is off, I find that a cup of ginger tea settles it nicely. 
Enjoy these tasty ginger flavored recipes.


Ginger Tofu Steaks

To make the marinade, combine in a glass cooking pan:

1/3 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame, sunflower, safflower or olive oil
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
1 tablespoon minced garlic
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cruched red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon brown rice syrup
1/3 cup chopped green onions

Cut extra firm tofu block (1 pound) in to half lengthwise and then half widthwise.  Add to marinade, coat thoroughly and let marinate at least 1 hour. 

Preheat oven to 375F.  Drain off about 1/2 the marinating liquid.  You can keep this sauce for dipping later or discard.  Bake tofu steaks 40 minutes. 

Ginger Carrots and Cabbage

Saute in a pan:

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups grated carrots
2 cups grated cabbage
1/2 cup water
salt and pepper to taste

Serve with rice and tofu steaks and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment