Saturday, November 14, 2009

Ballyhoo Banana Curry



Bananas are a tropical fruit and you make think they are out of season, but not in crazy Houston!  I picked these bananas from my father's banana tree.  Since these are home-grown, I decided they deserved a special recipe, so I invented this curry.  It is a surprisingly nice combination of sweet, salty and spicy.  I hope you enjoy it.


Sautee in a large pan:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 cups cooked lentils
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/2 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
2 small hot peppers
1/2 teaspoon salt

Add 1/2 cup water and 3 to 4 very ripe bananas.  Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.  Simmer 20 minutes, then add fresh or frozen peas.  Simmer until peas are soft.  Serve over rice and garnish with coconut.

No comments:

Post a Comment