Monday, January 25, 2010

Smashing Spaghetti and "Meatballs"



I was craving a big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs, so I dug out my New York Times Cookbook and adapted the recipes for meatballs and basic tomato sauce.  The result was satisfying and you couldn't even tell that the "meatballs" were soy.  So, I dare you to serve this up at the next spaghetti dinner you host or attend.  Yum.

To make the "meatballs,"  combine in a bowl:

1 log of Gimme Lean ground beef soy (14oz)
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons parsley
2 teaspoons basil
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Mix together well and form into 1 inch balls.  Set aside.


To make the spaghetti sauce, saute in a large sauce pan:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large chopped onion
2 minced garlic cloves
"meatballs"

Add to the pan:

1 large can of tomato sauce
1 regular sized can of dice tomatoes
2 teaspoons tomato paste
2 teaspoons basil
1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Bring sauce and meatballs to boil.  Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes.   Cook 1 pound of spaghetti.  Serve meatballs and sauce over spaghetti.  May garnish with Parmesan cheese.  

1 comment:

  1. Sorry, I can't take you up on that dare. I value my testicles too much. >﹏<

    ReplyDelete