Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised

My food obsession has moved beyond cooking and into the realm of just thinking about food. I think about ingredients, farming, processing, marketing and distribution of food. Author Michael Pollan is a recognized "food expert." In this interview, he discusses the processed food industry.

He says, "My new suggestion is, if you want to avoid all this, simply don’t buy any food you’ve ever seen advertised. Ninety-four percent of ad budgets for food go to processed food. I mean, the broccoli growers don’t have money for ad budgets. So the real food is not being advertised. And that’s really all you need to know."

It reminds me of what my father says, "If you have to read the label, chances are you shouldn't be eating it."

Maybe the challenge is to go label-less for a week, to shop the perimeter of the grocery store and focus on food, pure unadultered food.

Hit the link to listen to the interview or read the transcript:

"Omnivore's Dilemma" Author Michael Pollan's New Advice on Buying Food: "Don't Buy Any Food You've Ever Seen Advertised"

Shared via AddThis

1 comment:

  1. In the spirit of being real, I should take down all my advertisements for food products. But that is a lot of work for a non-computer person like me, so I will freely admit that I am flawed.

    ReplyDelete